I have just moved to a new home again – the last move was a year ago. Thinking back, I realise that in the last 33 years (since my little baby daughter was born) I have moved on average of almost once a year – stay with me here – I had to write this to truly believe it!
1. I start 33 years ago in our little house & land package home in the Canberra suburb of Gilmore, in what was called “nappy valley”. It was a new suburb with lots of young families 🙂
2. A relationship separation saw my daughter and I move into a friend’s home for a few months
3. We found a house in Wanniassa, Canberra.
4. I had long service leave approaching. My daughter was starting school the following year. I decided to purchase a Toyota Hiace long wheelbase pop up campervan, and we set off on our 7-month trip around Australia while I had the chance – I count this move as one single move
5. We arrived back in Canberra and found a share house that was not very nice and only stayed a few months.
6. A work colleague with a huge double storey house offered his upstairs to us.
7. The two of us now not having experience a winter in 18 months decided that Canberra was way too cold to sit through another winter. I had a choice to move to Melbourne and study to be a dance instructor or to Adelaide and study software development (and where my mother, stepfather, and sister live). We moved to Adelaide and stayed with my parents for a little while
8. Moved into a little old house in Camden Park, Adelaide, along the tram line just up from Glenelg, for a couple of years
9. Then into a lovely townhouse in Somerton Park, Adelaide for not quite a year – nice place but we did not like the area. I realised then that position was so much more important than a nice place in a not so nice area!
10. A lovely, quaint townhouse in leafy Mitcham, Adelaide, close to my daughter’s school for about a year
11. I was looking to leave Adelaide and move to Brisbane. I applied for IT roles in both Sydney and Brisbane. Sydney were quick off the mark and offered me a 12-month contract. Off we set to Sydney, and stayed with family for a few months
12. We found a unit under a house in Hornsby, close to my work for not quite a year. This is where we experienced funnel web spiders – ugh!
13. Found a lovely townhouse complex in Hornsby with a pool, sauna, and spa and moved in for just over a year
14. In 1999, we flew to New Zealand moving to Auckland where we lived in a city apartment for several months
15. We found a house in St Heliers with beautiful views of the harbour
16. A year later, another relationship breakdown, my daughter and I moved into a little old house nearby in Kohi for about 6 months
17. Then into another much larger house in Kohi for less than a year
18. A townhouse in Gulf Harbour where our yacht was moored and prepared to set sail to Fiji and Vanuatu
19. We set sail in June 2003 leaving Auckland, sailing around Fiji and Vanuatu, and arriving in Bundaberg in November 2003 – I count this as one move!
20. Sailed down the east coast to Mooloolaba and lived on the yacht in Mooloolaba marina for just over a year
21. Sold the yacht and moved into a unit for 5 days until our unit became available in Alexandra Headland, on the Sunshine Coast
22. Stayed in the unit in Alexandra Headland for 6 months
23. I moved into a little unit in Mudjimba for a few months, looking for property to buy
24. In 2005, I purchased a lovely townhouse in Mt Coolum at the base of Mt Coolum looking up at the waterfall and lived here for about 4 years whilst I started my business – Make It Easy business Solutions. We had an office and training centre in Peregian Beach. This was the longest time living in the one place!
25. I moved the business and home to Maroochydore for a year
26. The business and I moved to a big old 6-bedroom, 2 story waterfront house in Buddina – plenty of room for the staff and myself – for over a year
27. The business no longer had staff and I moved to a lovely unit in Alexandra Headland for just under two years
28. In 2013, I found my soulmate and we moved to a beautiful apartment in Mooloolaba for over two years. The owner decided to move back in
29. Up to Noosa into a three-story huge old house in a great location and stayed for two years
30. Downsizing a little, we found a beautiful log cabin house with a loft in Doonan – perfect design – but it was not ours.
31. We purchased a block of land in Agnes Waters, and with COVID-19 affecting our businesses, we moved into my little rental unit in Yandina – and here we are. The unit needs a lot of repairs and maintenance. We are thankful that we have this unit to live in.
If you have read this far – thank you!
Please stay safe, practice physical distancing, and lets slowly but surely open our worlds up again.
Slow and steady wins the race!
On another note – if you need any assistance with MYOB or Xero please do not hesitate in contacting me on 0410 819 783 or by email – email@example.com