“How can systems do that for me?” you ask.
If you had more hours in your week, how much better would your marketing be?
How many more opportunities could you follow up?
How much more money would you bank?
What would this do for your lifestyle, your family, your business?
Everyone seems to be saying that you’ve got to have systems in your business. True, and not true…
Walking into a business and seeing the big folder on the top shelf, proudly showcased with large lettering “Operations Manual,” I immediately wonder how much it’s actually being used. Since it’s just sitting on the shelf, I can’t see the grubby fingerprints or marked pages that tell me that this is a living document – something the team relies on to make the business run smoothly, consistently and reliably.
How useful are your systems? How has your business benefited from all the effort put into producing this (operations manual) trophy for the top shelf?
And if they’ve got “the manual”, why have they asked me for help?
This may be because the operations manual is a historic document, years old which has never really been treated seriously, except by the manager who wrote it (before she left last November).
Good systems empower you to achieve your goals – they are the means, not the goal.
Using systems means having that extra four hours a week to
- spend on effective marketing, building alliances,
- writing your blog or updating your website
- maybe even just catching up with a few of your key clients who’ve been on your “must see” list for the past three months.
It means having time to model your business strategies instead of blindly implementing them – then hoping, wishing or praying that they’ll make a difference to your bottom line.
Using systems means getting home in time to be with your partner or family.
In short, good systems empower you to achieve your goals – they are the means, not the goal.
Systems are the bridge to the other side (the one with the green grass on it).
So how do we build the bridge?
Get the team involved. Build team ownership then benefit from the accountability that this ownership creates. Tap into the expertise and experience of your team – after all, they’re the ones who do the doing and know what works and what doesn’t.
Identify the risks and build them out of the systems.
Consider the benefits, and make sure that your systems will achieve them consistently.
Looking for more information about having and USING great systems? – read the follow up article – Work Smarter, Perform Better and be More Efficient!
Learn XERO online with MIEBS!
We offer 4 Xero courses delivered by a ATO Registered BAS Agent with extensive experience in using and training in XERO:
- XERO in a Day – how to use XERO day to day, and the fundamentals of bookkeeping.
- Managing Payroll Using XERO – how to set-up and process payroll, and meet regulatory reporting using XERO
- Smarter XERO – how to sort out issues, set-up and use Fixed Assets, Hubdoc, Budgets, Manual Journals and much more
- Introduction to XERO Projects – how to setup and effectively cost manage small projects
- Xero Hubdoc Training – take this half-day course to understand how to use Hubdoc for business expenses and integrating business transactions into Xero
Do you need assistance with getting yourself organised? Contact Elke on 0410 819 783, Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our expertise is in systems, XERO training, MYOB and Microsoft Office applications.